Our comprehensive growth program is designed to help pave the way for a lifetime of healthy habits. By encouraging balanced nutrition practices and physical activity in early childhood, we are helping children reach their full potential and prevent chronic disease later in life. The grow program includes the following goals to help build a generation of healthy children:
- Physical Activity: Children are encouraged to participate in one to two hours of activity each day.
- Food: We provide a variety of healthy food choices during meals and snacks and encourage children to try new foods. Our menu offers limited fried foods and more fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats, beans and legumes. Meals are served family style in the classroom.
- Beverages: Water is always available for children at any time in addition to four to six ounces of 100% juice per day. Low- and non-fat milk is also available for children ages 2+.
- Infant Feeding: Smith &Davis Family Day Care supports parents’ decisions about infant feeding. We will follow your detailed instructions around feeding your baby formula or expressed milk. Moms are also welcome to breastfeed during school time.
- Television Time: At school, we provide 30 minutes of screen time or less each week, and none for children under two years of age.
The focus on healthy lifestyles comes as the U.S. is experiencing an increase in health risks directly tied to poor food choices and physical inactivity. Studies show that one in five children are overweight or obese by age 6. We’re concerned about these trends and have strive to curb this epidemic at our daycares!